We started with a 12′ by 15′ canvas drop cloth from Lowes and assorted colors of Liquid Rit Dye.
We literally tore the canvas into sections then dyed them one at a time in my washing machine.
Then we cut out random sized flowers from the different colors.
Next we used embroidery floss from Coats and Clark to stitch the many pieces (more than 500) together creating all unique flowers. We used LOTS of Laura Kelly buttons from my collection available through Buttons Galore!
Each flower had a back to it that we put together later.
We used Plaid’s beautiful paint to make dowel rods into stems. We assembled the flowers but cutting Phoomph into pieces that matched the flowers and adhering the front to the back with the dowel rod in the middle. Can I just say, I LOVE Phoomph! We set it up in our hotel room before the show to make sure it was going to work. Me and My Peeps liked modeling with it against our Rit Dye wrapping paper background from Spoonflower. 🙂
It turned out fabulous and looked great in the Buttons Galore and More booth!
While demonstrating how to create the flowers during the show, I got a little bored doing the same thing over and over so I made the ring and the fairy house to add to the garden wall. I really love the little house.
It was an honor to participate in the Banners of Hope project. I used remnants of the dyed canvas to make a banner that tied in with the theme.