Oh My Gourd DIY Fall Shaped Plush Decor
DIY Fall Shaped Plush Decor is such a fun way to create festive seasonal accents for the home. This post shares the pattern for a gourd but the same directions can be used to make pumpkins and leaves too. The more stuffed pillows you have on the couch, the better – am I right? Okay, let’s get started.
Materials Needed for DIY Fall Shaped Plush Decor
- Poly-Fil from Fairfield World
- Kunin Felt (Chashmere)
- Fabric Scraps (For Stem, Ties and Heart)
- Free Gourd Pattern
- Straight Pins
- Sewing Machine
- Needle and Thread
- Free Printable Tag (On Pattern)
Directions for Oh My Gourd DIY Fall Shaped Plush Decor
Start by cutting our a front and back piece for the stem from brown fabric. Use the free gourd pattern to cut two (a front and a back). Sometimes I like to pin the pattern to the felt and cut them both at the same time rather than trace the pattern with a marker. Of course, either technique will work.
Sew the stem together on three sides. Flip it. Stuff it loosely with Fairfield World Poly-Fil.
Next, cut a heart from a piece of fabric and use the zig-zag stitch to sew it to the front side of the gourd.
Place the two pieces of felt (front and back of gourd) with the insides facing each other and the stem INSIDE facing down at the top them pin around the edges.
Sew the gourd from bottom around the top and back down to the bottom, leaving a 4 inch opening.
Flip and stuff the gourd.
Seven Steps to Stuffing a Pillow
- Turn the pillow fabric right side out. If you are sewing a pillow, do most of the sewing with the pattern sides facing each other. Leave a few inches open on one side, then turn it right side out.
- Pull out a handful of Poly-Fil.
- Tease it apart into a fluffy cloud. This will help eliminate clumping.
- Push the Poly-Fil into the pillow, pressing it into the far corners and crevices of the pillow.
- Repeat steps 2 through 4, pulling out chunks of fiberfill that are similar size and consistency. Continue until the pillow is stuffed full.
- Sew up the open edge of the pillow with hand stitching.
- Squeeze the pillow all over, pushing around the Poly-Fil inside until it distributed to your liking.
Embellish Your DIY Fall Shaped Plush Decor
Add fabric scraps (several patterns of green) to the stem by tying them into bows. Add twine and the cute little tag that is also on the free printable with the pattern.
Isn’t it so darn cute!
My Favorite Sewing Supply List
These are the sewing supplies that I keep on hand at all times. They get used over and over again and again in so many of my projects.
- Sewing Machine – This one has FIFTY built in stitches!
- Ready Made Bobbins – I am not a fan of making my own bobbins so I LOVE these.
- Fabric Scissors – These are great because they cut through multiple layers of fabric.
- Pin Cushion and Pins – The cuter the better. I love this hedgehog.
- Poly-FIl Stuffing for Pillows
- Poly-Pellets for Bean Bags and Weighted Projects – The POUR bag makes all the difference.
- Rotary Cutter and Mat
More Fall Crafts
I love collaborating with other creative bloggers and sharing each other’s ideas!
The projects being shared today are
- Stuffed Autum Gourd from Laura Kelly Designs
- Dollar Tree Fall Sign from Laura’s Crafty Life
- DIY Fall Wreath from Smiling Colors
- Free Fall Printable from Sunshine & Munchkins
- Wooden Fall Wreath from Little Dove
- I Love Fall Most of All from Simply Made Fun
- How to Make Sweater Pumpkins from Poofy Cheeks
- Die-Cut Pumpkin Cards from Bella Crafts Publishing
Cheers to Autumn, Crafting and Collaborating.