Recycle those jar from the grocery store into darling upcycled jar snowman decor!
These DIY upcycled snowman jar gifts are super simple to make and darling to use for giving special treats. I actually made this batch to sell at a Crafty Open House I am hosting next weekend with a couple of friends but thought I would share for those of you who like to make things yourselves! I think they are PERFECT for these delicious cocoa stirring sticks from World Market but also can think of a bazillion other ways to use them.
Create adorable Jar Snowman Decor with canning jars or old food jars. This project is really fun to do with kids in a classroom environment, at a party or during a scout meeting. The final snowman jar makes a great gift. It is fun to use for holding candies, little gifts, flowers and even a candle.
Supplies Needed for Upcycled Jar Snowman
You will need just a few things. Here is a list:
- Glass Jars
- Acrylic Paint (White, Black and Orange)
- Paintbrush (Wide Flat and Detail)
- Pencil With New Eraser
- Ribbon or Fabric for Scarf
- Hot Glue (To Hold Scarf in Place)
Preparation Steps for Painting With Kids
- One of the biggest factors in creating successful paint crafts with kids lies in the prep. Here are four things you can do to prepare for a great time crafting.
- Expect a little mess. Prep your area knowing that paint can spill, drip and splatter. Cover your work are with kraft paper before starting.
- Provide aprons for the kids. If you don’t want to but them, they can wear old adult sized shirts as aprons.
- Have paper towels nearby and ready if needed.
- Know the dry time of the project before starting. If there are several steps, there might be a dry time involved. Have a puzzle or activity on hand to do during that in between time. You can grab free ones here on the blog.
Directions for Upcycled Jar Snowman
Make sure the glass jars are clean and DRY before beginning.
Paint the outside of the jar white. It might take two coats of paint depending on the quality of the acrylic paint being used.
Using the eraser on a new pencil and black paint, put eyes for the snowman on the jar. Dip the eraser straight down into the paint then dab it onto the jar.
Use a detail brush to paint an orange nose under the eyes. The nose can be any size but a nice triangle shapes works great.
Using the eraser again, add a mouth to the snowman.
Once the paint is all dry, add a scarf. To do this, cut a piece of ribbon or fabric at least 18 inches long. It can always be trimmed. On the BACK of the snowman, place a dot of hot glue then stick the MIDDLE of the ribbon to it. Be careful. Hot glue burns hurt!
Wrap the ribbon around to the front and tie in a knot. Trim the ends.
Free Printable Snowman Notes
The jar is perfect to hold pens and pencils for the holiday season. These come in handy for writing on gift tags and making lists.
Download these free printable notes and make a set for your friends as a holiday gift. Once cut, they fill into a standard #10 envelope so can be paired up to make the gift even better. Max it out and add some stamps!
Download the Notes to Print Here!
Why Painting with Kids is a Good Idea
Painting with kids is so much more than a craft project or simple activity. It is a way for kids (of all ages really) do many very important things. Here are some fabulous reasons to get kids painting.
- It helps them convey ideas and share.
- Painting gives kids an opportunity to express emotions — even ones that might be hiding deep inside.
- It uses several senses to paint and through that kids make connections.
- Exploring color, the process and the outcomes teaches cause and effect.
- When kids made handmade masterpieces, it boosts confidence.
Sharing is Caring!
Too busy to make this right away?! Pin it for later! Pin this project to your favorite craft board on Pinterest and it’ll be waiting for you when you’re ready.
I would really love to hear what you think about this upcycled jar snowman jar craft idea! If you try it out, I would sure like to see it! Share on Instagram, Facebook, or leave a comment/photo on the project pin on Pinterest! #LauraKellyDesigns
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase, it is no extra cost to you but supports me and my small business.
Happy Creating and Cheers,
6 thoughts on “Upcycled Jar Snowman Gift and Home Decor”
Super cute ideas!
Love that you love your pink jar, which was made with love…for you. Your gang of snowmen are aDORable! xoxo
Thanks Laura! I do love my pink jar made with love!
Thank you Brandy! I love so many of your awesome ideas too!!!
These are so sweet, I love their expressions!