Easy Sew Pumpkin Pouches
It’s Fall Y’All! September means the start of all things pumpkin. These easy sew pumpkin pouches can be whipped up in a minimal amount of time and used to create darling gifts and decorations. Because Oly*Fun is simple to work with (cuts like paper and sews like fabric), this is an awesome beginner sewing project. Oly*Fun is made by Fairfield World along with tons of other amazing products. These easy sew pumpkin pouches would be fun to fill with goodies and give out at a retirement home as a service project!
To make easy sew pumpkin pouches, you will need the following materials.
- Orange Oly*Fun (two pieces of 9 x 16 inch to double up)
- Green Oly*Fun (Enough to cut our leaves)
- Brown Felt for Stem (1.5 x 5 inches looped)
- Orange Grosgrain Ribbon (2 10 inch pieces)
- Straight Pins
- Sewing Machine
My Favorite Sewing Supply List
These are the sewing supplies that I keep on hand at all times. They get used over and over again and again in so many of my projects.
- Sewing Machine – This one has FIFTY built in stitches!
- Ready Made Bobbins – I am not a fan of making my own bobbins so I LOVE these.
- Fabric Scissors – These are great because they cut through multiple layers of fabric.
- Pin Cushion and Pins – The cuter the better. I love this hedgehog.
- Poly-FIl Stuffing for Pillows
- Poly-Pellets for Bean Bags and Weighted Projects – The POUR bag makes all the difference.
- Rotary Cutter and Mat
Directions to Make Easy Sew Pumpkin Pouches
The first step is to get your pieces all cut and ready and supplies organized.
For the base of the pumpkin, fold a double layer of 9 x 16 inch orange Oly*Fun in half and pin.
Cut out green leaves from Oly*Fun.
Pin orange ribbon along each nine inch side, securing the two layers together. On one of the sides, include the stem and leaves in the pinning. Remove the pin that was holding the folded sides together.
Sew the ribbon using a zig zag stitch to the double layered sides on each end. There will be a bit of ribbon hanging off each end. Fold the long piece in half and create a pleat in the middle. Pin in place.
Fold the extra ribbon in and pin the pieces all together. Sew the two sides closed, creating the pleat in the bottom. Trim the extra threads. I think it is best for holding coffee pods! After all, it is pumpkin spice season now.
More Halloween Crafts and Decor with Oly-Fun
Oly*Fun is great for creating big projects like these darling yard ghosts too!
It is pretty awesome for making beanbags and games too!
Ten Reasons to Craft
I am going to say this again. Crafting is just a great idea. It is proven that crafting can be really good for mental and emotional health. Studies show that making and crafting can lower anxiety. Another benefit to crafting is that it creates connection. When we make things and give them to others, we spread kindness and love. Here are my top ten reasons to craft with kids, and I mean kids of all ages.
- Mental Health Benefits – Crafting puts me in a good mood.
- Self Expression – Crafting allows me to express myself.
- Education and Growth – I learn new skills by making things.
- Connection – Crafting connects me others through workshops, classes and gifting.
- Decor – Through making and crafting, I can totally customize every aspect of my decor.
- Gift Giving – Gifts is totally my love language. I love to make handmade gifts.
- Offline Time – Crafting keeps me off of my phone and social media. We all know this can be beneficial.
- Income – Because I craft and sell items that I make, I have an additional income source.
- Fun – I like to have fun and to me, making things is fun.
- Socializing – Attending events where crafting is a part gets me out and around others with like minds.
YAY for ALL things pumpkin, Halloween and Fall! Please follow me on Instagram and share if you make this craft.