How To Make A Shark Shaped Pillow
Pillow pets are super popular! We have several little store-bought ones but wanted a larger one to use in the baby nursery with the ocean theme so decided to make a shark. It is easy to make your own shark shaped pillow with just a few supplies and a little bit of time. One of the best things about this project is that it is great for beginning sewers. It is also totally customizable so your sharks could be any size! Let’s do it! Here is How To Make A Shark Shaped Pillow AND the best way to stuff it with Poly-Fil!
Supplies and Materials Needed
- Kunin Felt – Silver Gray (2 Large Pieces for Front and Back) – Size Determined by Size of Desired Pillow
- Patterned Red Fabric for Mouth
- White Patterned Fabric for Eye
- Black Kunin Felt for Eye Ball
- White Kunin Felt for Teeth
- Sewing Machine with Thread
- Poly-Fil from Fairfield World
- FREE Shark Printable for Pattern
Start by cutting two sharks shapes from felt a little larger than size you want your pillow to be when finished.
Next, Cut out a mouth from the red fabric.
Trace the red fabric onto white felt to cut out a same size piece. Then, from the center — cut out teeth all the way around as triangle points.
You will also need to cut out an eye from the white fabric with an eyeball from the black felt – AND some gills.
Pin all of the cutout pieces to the front gray felt shark piece.
Sew them in place using a zig-zag stitch. For the mouth, sew around the edge of the white teeth and also inside along the meeting point of the teeth to the mouth.
Put your gray felt shark pieces together with the insides facing each other and pin around the edges, leaving a 6-8 inch opening in the tail.
Sew around the entire outside of the pillow, except for the opening area in the tail.
Remove the pins and flip the shark pillow right-side out.
How to Stuff a Pillow
Seven Steps to Stuffing a Pillow
- Turn the pillow fabric right side out. If you are sewing a pillow, do most of the sewing with the pattern sides facing each other. Leave a few inches open on one side, then turn it right side out.
- Pull out a handful of Poly-Fil.
- Tease it apart into a fluffy cloud. This will help eliminate clumping.
- Push the Poly-Fil into the pillow, pressing it into the far corners and crevices of the pillow.
- Repeat steps 2 through 4, pulling out chunks of fiberfill that are similar size and consistency. Continue until the pillow is stuffed full.
- Sew up the open edge of the pillow with hand stitching.
- Squeeze the pillow all over, pushing around the Poly-Fil inside until it distributed to your liking.
Isn’t he the cutest shark pillow EVER in the history of forever. He is perfect for a beginner sewing project and also great for Shark Week crafting.
I love him for the baby nursery which reminds me to share this with you. Decorating your home is so important.
Reasons to Decorate Your Home
There are so many great reasons to decorate your home. The decor determines the mood and the feel for your family and all who enter. It is a form of expression. A home that is well decorated can lower anxiety and create a sense of ease and peace. Different rooms can have different vibes determined solely by the decor — from the colors to the furniture to the accent decor. Here are my top five reasons to decorate your home and invest in the process.
- A well decorated room creates a space for healthy living including the atmosphere as well as the functionality.
- Decorated spaces can promote well being, creativity, better rest, etc.
- It is fun.
- Home decor can change with the seasons, the holidays, and the times. It is a way to update style.
- There are no rules to home decorating. Your home is unique to you and your family.
More Shark Projects
I love Sharks, Shark Week, Shark Crafts and ALL things SHARKS! Here are some more of the shark projects I have for y’all!
- This Shark Beanbag Toss Game is super fun and portable. The blog post has a free printable score sheet for you too.
- Shark Activities are so fun. This shark collection is in a printable format that you can use for school, scouts or at home. It makes a little booklet.
- Shark Jello Cups are a fun way to create a sweet treat for shark week snacks or a themed party.
- All of the paper things you need for a SHARK PARTY are in this printable post!
- I have a whole SHARK Educational Learning Packet for you. It is in my Printable Library.
- Beth over at Creatively Beth has the darling sharks for you to color. Go grab them.
YAY FOR SHARKS!