Create beautiful rainbow decor using upcycled spools and colored twine.
Decorating is so wonderful when using items that have personal meaning like spools found during a great antiquing trip with a best friend. These spools were some of many purchased in a giant antique mason jar. With the addition of the fabulous colors of twine from Hemptique, they turned into beautiful diy rainbow decor. This is one of my favorite upcycled spools DIY.
Materials and Supplies Needed
- Seven Wooden Spools
- Hemptique Twine (Hemp Cord) in Rainbow Colors
- Hot Glue
- 6 Wooden Beads (Medium Size)
- 2 Wooden Beads (Small)
- Scissors/Wire Cutters
- Metal Quote Charm
Gather up the supplies needed for this project and prep by getting the spools cleaned up and ready. Remove any old threads. The stickers on the ends can be removed if desired. I think they add a lot of character so decided to leave them on.
Start with one wooden spool. Place a small amount of hot glue at one end and attached the end of a spool of twine. I started with red and worked my way through the rainbow.
If your spools are different sizes, it is a good idea to think through the order that is best before starting.
One by one, wrap all of your spools.
Cut a piece of wire the length of your spools lined up plus a few extra inches for the wooden beads. It doesn’t have to be exact as it can be cut down at the end of threading the spools and beads.
Thread the wire through a bead and use hot glue to seal the end of the wire inside the bead. this bead can be smaller than the others used in the project if desired.
Thread your spools and beads onto the wire – alternating between spools and beads until they are all threaded.
Add a metal charm with an inspirational message for that special added touch. I love this saying – Stay Curious.
Tie twine through the hole and into a knot then tie that onto the corresponding wrapped spool.
Add a hanger to the final spool rainbow by threading a piece of twine through the middle spool and creating a loop with a knot.
Hang your beautiful masterpiece up to admire.
More Ideas with Hemptique Hemp Cord Twine
There are so many great ways to use twine. Here are a few of my favorites in addition to the recycled jeans bracelet.
- Macrame Barrette – Easy First Macramé Project
- Hemp Cord Wrapped Candles – OVER on Artsy Fartsy Mama
- Macrame Wall Art – Great First Macramé Project
- Carrot String Art Wall Decor – Great for Easter and springtime!
- Rainbow Tassels and Clothespin Leprechaun – Perfect for Saint Patrick’s Day Decor
- Beginner String Art – Step By Step Directions
- Repurposed Window Message Center – This is my favorite project on display in my studio.
- Color Blocked Jars – I love these for organizing and decorating too. Get the directions!
- Farmhouse Decor with Hemp Cord – I LOVE this wrapping technique
- Back to School Ruler Wreath
- Worry Dolls – Such a Fun Way to Create Adorable Decor or Play Toys
- Easy Friendship Bracelets
- Rainbow Beaded Friendship Bracelet – Over on Artsy Fartsy Mama
Sharing is Caring! Too busy to make this right away?! Pin it for later! Pin this project to your favorite craft board on Pinterest and it’ll be waiting for you when you’re ready.
I would really love to hear what you think about this stencil making idea! If you try it out, I would sure like to see it! Share on Instagram, Facebook, or leave a comment/photo on the project pin on Pinterest! #LauraKellyDesigns
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase, it is no extra cost to you but supports me and my small business.