Let’s make a beautiful string art wreath for back to school!
Let’s get ready for the exciting time when the kids move up to the next grade. If you are a teacher, this is the perfect decor for your classroom door. If you are a parent, this is also perfect for the door to your home. This wreath is perfect to use for decorating at home and in the classroom too. I think it would be a really fun project to do with friends over cocktails to prep for the new school year. Let’s make a back to school ruler wreath with a string art apple
Check out this craft and lots of other great ones that I shared live on FOX News Denver.
It is always such a treat to go live on the news and share creativity with my community. Every season and holiday offers the opportunity to change the decorations in the home, the classroom, the office, the yard – and well -everywhere. I love taking supplies like rulers, twine and wooden scraps and turning them into wonderful pieces of decor.
Supplies Needed for Back to School Ruler Wreath
- 6 Rulers
- Clear Gel Tacky Glue
- Hemptique Hemp Cord (Red, Brown, Green)
- Wood Square
- Parchment Paper
I love the hemp cord because it works the best. It is strong but still has that soft look on a completed project. String art is a great way to add an accent to decor and this apple string art is adorable. It is quick and easy so a great beginner stringing project.
Directions for Back to School Ruler Wreath
Start by gluing your rulers together using Clear Gel Tacky Glue and let it dry.
You can lay them out in whatever way works best for you. This is how I did it.
While the rulers are drying, it is a time to create a string art apple. I used a 3 x 3 inch piece of scrap wood but any size would work. There are tons of different images that can be used for the wreath. A little bookworm would be adorable. If the letters ABC were spelled out in string that would be super fun too. Other ideas that come to mind are a book stack, a lunchbox and a backpack. These would of course be harder with more details involved and more skill required.
STEPS TO MAKE A STRING ART Apple
- Start by creating a pattern. Trace your wood surface onto parchment paper to get an idea of exactly how much space you have to work with. If you are wanting to create a specific logo or design, print it first then cut it out. If you can trace it to the parchment paper, it will make it much easier to remove once all of your nails have been hammered into the wood because it tears so easily. Inside that space, draw a simple pattern and cut it out. Adhere it to the surface if desired. Washi tape works great for this step.
- Next, nail the pattern to the wooden surface, spreading the nails apart between 1/2 inch to an inch. The final designs will look very different depending on how far apart the nails are placed.
- Remove the pattern.
- Before you start stringing, Unwrap your string and find the end. Determine your starting point and tie a knot around that nail. If desired, dab a bit of clear-drying glue or clear nail polish on the knot and let it dry to create extra stability. This is a good step when working with kids.
- Wrap the string around the nails, creating as you go. This can be done any way. It is sometimes good to go around the outside edge but not required. It is a totally different look depending on whether or not it is done.
- Once you are complete, tie off the cord. Again you can seal with clear nail polish if desired.
Add brown hemp cord for the stem.
Tie a green bow with hemp cord and glue it to the apple. Let it dry. Isn’t it the cutest string art apple ever?
Finish the Back to School Ruler Wreath
Wrap hemp cord around the rulers in the colors that you like best to match your string art. Tie them off tightly.
Glue your string art block to the rulers.
This next step requires braiding which is such a great skill. Braid a long (about 18 inches) piece of hemp cord and tie it to the top corners to create a hanger. Then, make a big hemp cord bow and glue it on. I love the bow and how the colors match the string art apple. This back to school ruler wreath is a must make, right?
It is so simple, fun and festive!
MORE Hemp Cord Back to School DIY Craft and Project Ideas
Organization is always a good idea, especially at back to school time. These recycled jars color blocked with hemp cord create a darling way to organize pens, pencils, crayons, and supplies.
Another fun way to organize is to create a message board for notes, tickets and reminders. The fun colors of hemp cord make this so bright and cheerful for a homework or study space.
Cheers to Back to School Ruler Wreath Decor and a Lovely String Art Apple!
3 thoughts on “Back to School Ruler Wreath Decor with String Art Apple”
This is just the cutest idea!
Thank you! 🙂
Always AMAZING, Laura! I love your string art projects. Creatively, Beth