Create a darling Binx (the Hocus Pocus black cat) from a clay pot!
Hocus Pocus is the most fun for family movie night at Halloween time. We love mixing up DIY projects, snacks and handmade decor around here so all love the Hocus Pocus Crafts. Binx is the black cat with the full name of Thackery Binx. He was once human, before he was turned into an immortal black cat, simply because he tried to save his sister, Emily, from the Sanderson sisters.
Materials and Supplies
- Clay Pot – 3.5” in diameter – Dollar Store
- Acrylic Craft Paint – Black, Pink, Glitter
- Wiggle Eyes – Dollar Store
- Pom Pom, Black Tinsel – Dollar Store
- Craft Foam, Yellow, Black – Dollar Store
- Glue Gun and Glue Sticks – Dollar Store
- Ribbon, Purple and white Gingham – Dollar Store
- White Floral Wire – Dollar Store
- Permanent Black Marker – Dollar Store
- Pencil with new Eraser
- Hole Punch
- BINX THE CAT PATTERNS
Directions to Make a Clay Pot Black Cat
Gather all materials and then remove the packaging and labels. Basecoat the 3.5” clay pot with black acrylic craft paint. Let the paint dry and then apply a second coat, if necessary.
Download and print the BINX THE CAT patterns. Next, use a marker and trace the tail and ears onto black craft foam as well as the tag onto yellow craft foam. Cut out all patterns with scissors.
You can also use a 1” circle template to create the circle tag.
Attach two wiggle eyes with a glue gun and glue sticks. Using a paintbrush, basecoat the inside of the cat ears with pink acrylic craft paint. Create cheeks, by dabbing a new pencil eraser in pink acrylic craft paint. You can use liquid craft glue for this project, but you will have to wait for it to dry.
Measure and cut three lengths of white floral wire that are 3” long. Glue the wire whiskers and the pom pom nose to Binx’s face, just under the eyes. NOTE: Once the features were in place, the pink cheeks looked out of place, so they were painted over with black acrylic craft paint. You can leave them if you like them.
Add acrylic glitter paint to the band of the clay pot with a paintbrush, adding a magical touch to Binx the Cat.
Punch a hole in the yellow craft foam circle, and then write BINX on the name tag with a permanent black marker.
Attach Binx’s tail to the back of the clay pot band using a glue gun and glue sticks. Thread the name tag through purple and white gingham ribbon. Glue one end to the back of the clay pot. Wrap the ribbon around the band of the clay pot, position the name tag at the front. Then cut and secure the other end of the ribbon with a glue gun and glue sticks.
FREE Hocus Pocus Crafts Word Search Puzzle
More Hocus Pocus FREE Printables
There are a few more fun free Hocus Pocus printables that can be used for coloring or patterns for projects here on the blog.
Best Ways to Use Free Printables
You might have seen this list from me before but I think it is worth sharing over and over. Sometimes the people in the back need to hear things a few times, right? There are so many great ways to use free Hocus Pocus crafts and all printables. Here are some of my favorites.
- Print them and mail in an envelope with a stamp. Snail mail rocks.
- Batch some up to make an activity book. This is great for a road trip!
- Print and use at a place setting on the table to create a conversation starter.
- Add them to goody bags. By the way, goody bags are not just for birthday parties.
- Package them up with your favorite markers and crayons to give as a gift.
- Drop a few off at the local coffee shop with fun pencils to spread some happy.
- Cut them up to make cards, gift wrap and decorations.
BEST Tools For Working With Free Printables
These are my favorite tools and art supplies to use with free printables and why I love them too.
- Printer – This Laser Printer is inexpensive and works like a charm. It even works with Alexa. Bonus!
- Scissors – Lots of printables can be cut up to create decorations and cards and things like that.
- Markers and Crayons – All thing ooly work the best for me. I LOVE all of their markers, pencils and crayons.
- Colored Pencils – For adult coloring, PRISM makes the colored pencils that I love to use most.
- Twine – For creating banners and garlands from printables, I love this twine best.
- Adhesive – Lots of printables have pieces that get cut out and put together. This is my fave tape runner!
Sharing is Caring! Too busy to make this right away?! Pin it for later! Pin this project to your favorite craft board on Pinterest and it’ll be waiting for you when you’re ready.
I would really love to hear what you think about this Hocus Pocus Crafts idea! If you try it out, I would sure like to see it! Share on Instagram, Facebook, or leave a comment/photo on the project pin on Pinterest! #LauraKellyDesigns
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase, it is no extra cost to you but supports me and my small business.