Create a darling rainbow work of art with items from the Dollar Store.
Crafts that allow kids the opportunity to paint, cut and glue are the best. This one allows so much opportunity for creativity and self expression while focusing on the colors that make up a rainbow. By creating a painted canvas base to build on, children have the opportunity to create a masterpiece from the ground (or should I say sky) up. This project could be done in two different crafting sessions, one to paint and the other to build and glue the rainbow. I love this Dollar Store Crafts Rainbow for Kids because it cost effective for doing with a classroom of children or for a party.
Materials and Supplies List
- White and Pink Felt
- FREE Cloud Pattern
- Acrylic Paint (Blue and White)
- Colored Craft Sticks from the Dollar Store
- Canvas (The bigger the better!)
- Permanent Marker
- Google Eyes
Why Painting with Kids is a Good Idea
Painting with kids is so much more than a craft project or simple activity. It is a way for kids (of all ages really) do many very important things. Here are some fabulous reasons to get kids painting.
- It helps them convey ideas and share.
- Painting gives kids an opportunity to express emotions — even ones that might be hiding deep inside.
- It uses several senses to paint and through that kids make connections.
- Exploring color, the process and the outcomes teaches cause and effect.
- When kids made handmade masterpieces, it boosts confidence. Dollar Store Crafts for kids makes this affordable.
Preparation Steps for Painting with Kids
One of the biggest factors in creating successful paint crafts with kids lies in the prep. Here are four things you can do to prepare for a great time crafting.
- Expect a little mess. Prep your area knowing that paint can spill, drip and splatter. Cover your work are with kraft paper before starting.
- Provide aprons for the kids. If you don’t want to but them, they can wear old adult sized shirts as aprons.
- Have paper towels nearby and ready if needed.
- Know the dry time of the project before starting. If there are several steps, there might be a dry time involved. Have a puzzle or activity on hand to do during that in between time. You can grab free ones here on the blog.
Directions to Make a Rainbow for Kids Artistic Masterpiece
These directions are great but could easily be transformed to use cardboard for the back and crayons to color the sky. Do whatever works to make this dollar store crafts idea for kids work for your kid.
To create this adorable rainbow masterpiece, the canvas has to be painted first. To allow some creativity with the painting process, use both blue and white. Squeeze a little of each out on the canvas to start. Add more as needed. As the colors are brushed over the canvas, they blend in unique and beautiful ways.
Glue the craft sticks to create a rainbow. If you have kids who want to do in another way, LET THEM! The more unique a kid chooses to craft, the better. This is a chance to access imagination and stimulate independent thinking as much as to craft.
Cut out two circles from white felt. Glue them to the canvas. This is not totally necessary but creates a base for the felt clouds that are coming next. Felt is great for Dollar Store Crafts for Kids because it is inexpensive and sturdy.
Cut out two clouds from felt and little pink cheek circles too.
Glue the circles to the clouds along with the google eyes.
Add a mouth with a permanent black marker then glue the clouds to the canvas.
Another Fun Rainbow Craft with Felt
This stacked felt rainbow is a lot of fun to make too. It uses the same pattern sheets as this project. It goes great with this project if you are learning about colors or celebrating Saint Patrick’s Day! Grab the directions and the free pattern.
Rainbow Printable Fun for Kids
Here is a great little free printable Roll The Rainbow game for kids. This is a fabulous things for kids who finish earlier than others and need a little something to do. You can get it free to download here on the blog.
BEST Tools For Working With Free Printables
These are my favorite tools and art supplies to use with free printables and why I love them too. These tips are great for all dollar store crafts for kids too.
- Printer – This Laser Printer is inexpensive and works like a charm. It even works with Alexa. Bonus!
- Scissors – Lots of printables can be cut up to create decorations and cards and things like that.
- Markers and Crayons – All thing ooly work the best for me. I LOVE all of their markers, pencils and crayons.
- Colored Pencils – For adult coloring, PRISM makes the colored pencils that I love to use most.
- Twine – For creating banners and garlands from printables, I love this twine best.
- Adhesive – Lots of printables have pieces that get cut out and put together. This is my fave tape runner!
Cheers to Rainbows and Dollar Store Crafts for Kids!