Grab some yarn and make these fabulous DIY Harry Potter bookmarks with pom-poms as your next party or classroom craft project.
When I was in Chicago earlier in the summer, I attended a blogger retreat and learned so much. One of the sponsors of that retreat was Darn Good Yarn. This company was new to me but I can admit that I was instantly a fan. The bright vibrant colors of the gorgeous Sari Ribbon Yarn sparked joy and inspiration. Upon arriving home, my Goddaughter Chloe (also attended the conference) and I whipped up an adorable braided keychain with our sampler of the Sari Ribbon Yarn.
I decided that I simply had to create something magical for my Harry Potter series so here it is, directions to make Harry Potter house inspired bookmarks. Harry Potter bookmarks (also known as page holders) are perfect for a party/classroom craft or a gift. This post is sponsored by Darn Good Yarn but the ideas and opinions are my own. You can save 15% on your purchases on Darn Good Yarn with the code LauraKellyDesigns15 !
A Hogwarts house update:
- Gryffindor: Scarlet and Gold House Colors! Mascot Lion. Values courage, bravery, nerve, and chivalry.
- Ravenclaw: Blue and Bronze House Colors! Mascot Eagle. Values intelligence, creativity, learning.
- Slytherin: Green and Silver House Colors! Mascot Snake. Values ambition, cunning, leadership, and resourcefulness.
- Hufflepuff: Yellow and Black House Colors! Mascot Badger. Values hard work, patience, justice, and loyalty.
Let’s get straight to making. The Sari Ribbon Yarn is 100% silk and handmade from vintage saris. Can I just say that I LOVE this detail. For each Harry Potter house inspired bookmark, you will need the two colors of the house in the Sari Ribbon Yarn (5 yards of each of the two colors). It comes in sampler packs with each color measuring EXACTLY what you need at 5 yards.
How to make these DIY Harry Potter Bookmarks:
Cut three stands each measuring 12-20 inches, depending on the length you want for your Harry Potter house inspired bookmark. Tie them together at one end in a knot, leaving about an inch to two inches of fringe. Braid them three strands until you have 3 inches left then stop and tie in a knot.
It is Pom-Pom Making Time…
- Cut a piece of the yarn into an eight inch stand. Use the remainder of your Sari Ribbon Yarn to make a pom-pom. Wrap it around a two inch wide piece of cardboard or foam board. Slide it off.
- Use the eight inch stand you cut off to tie the yarn was around the center of the ENTIRE thing. Tie it as tight as possible.
- Cut the loops open on both sides to create the pom-pom. Trim excess if desired. Tie it to the braided piece on the end with the longer fringe, using the fringe to knot.
Add keys, buttons or embellishments if desired. I am a Hufflepuff so of course have a darling pin to add to the Harry Potter Hufflepuff bookmark I am going to use!
My daughters are Ravenclaw and Gryfindor so they will be getting the other two. About that other house, Slytherin….I am going to have to get some gray/silverish Suri Ribbon Yarn to make another bookmark. I do have a Slytherin son you know!
YAY for Harry Potter!
I am thinking about adding little pom-poms to this Hogwarts House Garland that I made last week!
I thought I would share the amazing braided key fob that we made last week with the Sari Ribbon yarn. It holds our pool fob and mailbox keys. We have it hanging by the door so everyone has quick access to the community resources.
Darn Good Yarn offers a monthly yarn box. I think it is a brilliant idea. You can get more information about it HERE.
Be sure to check back soon when I will be sharing another whole round of magical crafts. If you love this easy craft, please help me share it on Facebook and Pinterest! Cheers to Making All the Things!