How to Plan a Girl Scout S.T.E.M. Event
If you want to host a Girl Scout S.T.E.M. event, do it. It is easy peasy to plan and super inspiring for girls. It works great when older girls assist younger ones at the stations but if all of your girls are little, grown ups can help out too. S.T.E.M. stands for Science, Technology, Engineering and Math. Between the four project stations in this event, girl get to do a little of everything.
To get started, you will need the following:
- DIRECTION cards for Each Station (FREE PRINTABLE) – Mount on Heavier Paper
- Crafting Supplies For Each Station
- Bird Feeders (Large Craft Sticks, Craft Glue, Twine, Scissors, Bird Seed)
- Catapults (Large Craft Sticks, Rubber Bands, Plastic Spoons, Tape, Marshmallows)
- Buildings (Styrofoam Pieces like Cut Up Pool Noodles, Shaving Cream, Paper Plates)
- Printable Activity Station (Crayons, Colored Pencils, Word Search and Blank Paper)
- Punch Card for Each Attendee (FREE PRINTABLE)
- S.T.E.M. Fun Patches – Can get on SnappyLogos.
BEFORE the Event Checklist:
- Confirm Attendees.
- Have a money box ready if you are collecting money for the event.
- Make a sample of each project to show at the stations.
- Set up the four stations at four DIFFERENT tables.
- Have sufficient helpers and adult/older girl support.
- Have a few extra supplies in case extra girls show up.
At the event, give each participant a punch/stamp card and a STEM data sheet when they arrive. If you are charging for your event, this is the time to collect money too. They must have the punch card to participate in the stations. Once they have completed the four stations, they can bring back their punch card to receive the fun patch.
After the event, send thank you notes to your helpers. This makes them feel appreciated and respected. Also, gather up all leftover supplies and put them back into your craft stash for the next event. Who know, you might need some craft sticks again soon.
Cheers to Learning and Earning and Growing,
A great addition to the Girl Scout S.T.E.M. event is to have a free play center filled with Keva planks. They are an awesome building