How to Paint Terra Cotta Pots for the Patio
I am so excited to share my tips and tricks on How to Paint Terra Cotta Pots for the Patio using Patio Paints from DecoArt. They are my favorite acrylic paints for outdoor projects. Join me to learn how to paint terra cotta pots for the patio in a few easy steps. This is a great project for beginning crafts and kids too. The making of this project is sponsored by DecoArt but the ideas and opinions are my own – as always.
Material Needed to Paint Terra Cotta Pots for the Patio
- DecoArt Patio Paints in Variety of Colors
- Terra Cotta Pots (Patio Paints also work great on metal and other materials.)
- Paint Brushes
- Water for Rinsing Brushes
- Paper and Pencil for Pre-Sketching
- Pallet or Ceramic Plate
Directions for Painting Pots
Sometimes it works best to sketch out ideas before beginning the painting process! That is what I did for this project — and of course I shared it in my Instagram stories that day. Here is a screenshot. If you aren’t following LauraKellyDesigns on Instagram, I would love for you to start!
There are two options when painting multiple items for one project. You can either paint them each – one at time OR paint them at the same time. Because the same colors are used for all three of these, painted them all at the same time, starting with red and working my way through the colors of the rainbow.
After the colors are all dry, paint the pot rims black and let it dry. Once it is, add white polka dots. To make a PERFECT polka dot, use the eraser end of a pencil dipped in paint then pressed onto the dry black surface.
Patio Paints from DecoArt
Patio Paints from DecoArt are fantastic for so many reasons. They are thick and creamy so only require one coat. You can create durable outdoor pieces with Patio Paint Outdoor acrylics, available in 65 colors. Patio Paint Outdoor is water-based for easy clean-up. It provides excellent adhesion to exterior surfaces such as concrete, terra cotta, masonry, and wood. Here are some of the highlights to DecoArt Patio Paint.
- No sealer required for a durable, long-lasting finish
- Satin finish
- Superior coverage
- Will not crack or peel
- Made in the USA
Why Painting with Kids is a Good Idea
This is a great project to do with kids at summer camp or for kid made Mother’s Day gifts. Painting with kids is so much more than a craft project or simple activity. It is a way for kids (of all ages really) do many very important things. Here are some fabulous reasons to get kids painting.
- It helps them convey ideas and share.
- Painting gives kids an opportunity to express emotions — even ones that might be hiding deep inside.
- It uses several senses to paint and through that kids make connections.
- Exploring color, the process and the outcomes teaches cause and effect.
- When kids made handmade masterpieces, it boosts confidence.
Preparation Steps for Painting with Kids
One of the biggest factors in creating successful paint crafts with kids lies in the prep. Here are four things you can do to prepare for a great time crafting.
- Expect a little mess. Prep your area knowing that paint can spill, drip and splatter. Cover your work are with kraft paper before starting.
- Provide aprons for the kids. If you don’t want to but them, they can wear old adult sized shirts as aprons.
- Have paper towels nearby and ready if needed.
- Know the dry time of the project before starting. If there are several steps, there might be a dry time involved. Have a puzzle or activity on hand to do during that in between time. You can grab free ones here on the blog.
More Projects with Patio Paint
Painting kindness rocks is a breeze with Patio Paints from DecoArt. Get all my tips and tricks for painting rocks!
Outdoor birdhouses are such a great way to brighten things up. Check this adorable painted birdhouse with all of the directions using Patio Paints.
This Yard Game with Hand Painted Dice is a SUPER fun project. There is even a free downloadable score sheet.
Cheers to bright and colorful patio and outdoor painted projects!