Summertime Party Decor for Backyard Celebrations
Let’s kick off this Summertime Party Decor for Backyard fun with a giveaway so you can grab supplies to make one of these super fun projects! Enter to win a $100 gift card to JoAnn Stores.
Ideas for Summertime Party Decor for Backyard Celebrations
- Fairy Lanterns for Mood Lighting
- Fruit Mason Jars for Centerpieces
- Indoor/Outdoor TeePee
- Celebrate Banner
- Clay Flowers
- Yard Dice Game
- Patchwork Bench Pillow
Let’s Make Some Summertime Party Decor for Backyard Celebrations
We love to have people over in the summer to cookout and hang out and play. With Ryp, Jordan, Zoe and ME all having summer birthdays (in addition to Father’s Day and our family blending anniversary), we are always out in the backyard celebrating something. This summertime party decor for backyard celebrations is easy peasy to make and also to put up, take down and store. While you could create any theme with the steps in this post, we love the bright and cheery icons of summertime that can be used over and over again.
Supplies and Materials for Summertime Party Decor for Backyard Garland
Directions for Garland
Let’s start with a simple garland. This is made with just two supplies, Oly*Fun by Fairfield World (in assorted colors) and ribbon. Cut the Oly*Fun into strips that measure 14 inches by 2 inches. Oly*Fun is sold by the yard (60 inches wide) so you can make a lot of strips with each cut. Tie the strips onto a piece of ribbon that measures the length you would like your garland to be. My thought is the longer, the better! This is a great project to enroll your kids into supporting. They can not only cut the strips but also tie them to the ribbon.
If you want to add ribbon to the garland, cut the strips to a 12 inch length and add them to the garland by tying them on in between the Oly*Fun strips. If you add decorative ribbons, you can get a fun look or coordinate with a theme. I am simply a huge fan of black with white polka dots so this works for me as it will match my summertime straws, plates and napkins.
Ta Da! Isn’t it so so so cute. It is so lightweight that it easily ties and stays put on tree branches.
Summertime Party Decor for Backyard Pillow
To make pillows, use the Oly*Fun just like fabric. The sunshine is one of my favorites.
Materials for Pillow
- Oly*Fun – Yellow, Orange, Pink and Black
- Sewing Machine
- Pillow Form (I used this one!)
Directions for Pillow
- Cut two pieces of Oly*Fun in both yellow and orange to measure one inch more on each side than your pillow form.
- Next, cut out and sew on eyes and a smile.
- And now cut out strips of orange and yellow (1 1/2 inch by about 6 inches) and place them all on the face of your sun towards the center. Sew the ones across the bottom before sewing pillow together.
- Put your two orange squares on your yellow face squares and sew around the top three sides. Flip it out and put your form inside.
- Sew the bottom shut either on your machine or by hand, tucking the already sewn strips inside as you go.
You can use your extra pieces to create placemats and tie plastic silverware together.
Oly*Fun is great because it cuts like paper but sews like fabric. It is great for outdoor decorations but not meant to be left in the outdoors as it will not survive the weather.
More Backyard Fun Projects
Painting outdoor birdhouse and flowerpots is a great way to add color and personality to your space. Grab my tips and tricks to make an outdoor birdhouse for your yard.
Summer Craft Ideas for the backyard are so much fun. This post is FILLED with so much inspiration and links to tutorials for you!
Reasons to Decorate Your Home and Yard
There are so many great reasons to decorate your home and yard. The decor determines the mood and the feel for your family and all who enter. It is a form of expression. A home/yard that is well decorated can lower anxiety and create a sense of ease and peace. Different rooms can have different vibes determined solely by the decor — from the colors to the furniture to the accent decor. Here are my top five reasons to decorate your home and yard and invest in the process.
- A well decorated area creates a space for healthy living including the atmosphere as well as the functionality.
- Decorated spaces can promote well being, creativity, better rest, etc.
- It is fun.
- Home decor can change with the seasons, the holidays, and the times. It is a way to update style.
- There are no rules to home decorating. Your home and yard are unique to you and your family.
Cheers to Celebrations and Summertime,